- Camping and Cottages
- Sports and Leisure Activities
- Nature/History Programs
- School Group Programs
- Indian River Marina
- Museums, Attractions, Brandywine Zoo
- Weddings, Meetings
- General Information
- Resident Curatorships
- Volunteering, Friends'
- Passes and Fees
Please Choose an Activity:
Surf Fishing Vehicle Rules
- Permit-holder must be actively engaged in surf fishing when the vehicle is out on the beach. Appropriate fishing gear must be present - bait, tackle, pole.
- For the safety of the fishermen, vehicles must carry a low-pressure tire gauge, a tow rope/chain, a board, jack, and shovel.
- Permit regulations are strictly enforced. Violations may result in a fine of $50 to $250 for a first offense and $100 to $500 for a second offense.
- Swimming in unguarded areas is unsafe. Lifeguards are available at designated swimming beaches from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. For your safety, please swim at these locations.
- Please be courteous to other beach-users.
- The Carry In - Carry Out Trash-Free Park program is in effect in all surf fishing areas. Help us keep your parks clean and beautiful by carrying out the trash you carry in. Dispose of nylon fishing line properly. Loose, discarded line entangles wildlife and beach cleaning equipment.
- Dogs are allowed in most surf fishing vehicle areas but must be under control and kept on a leash not to exceed six feet in length. This policy is strictly enforced. Violations are subject to fines.
- People, pets, and vehicles are not to enter designated bird nesting areas. Disturbance of these areas may prevent successful nesting or fledging of threatened shorebirds.
- People, pets, and vehicles are to keep off of dunes. Foot or vehicular traffic quickly kills the fragile dune grasses which stabilize the dunes. Cross only at designated pedestrian or vehicular crossings.
- The use of mechanically propelled bait or line casters is prohibited on all surf fishing beaches.
Your valuable assistance is needed in protecting the beach system. If you see damage being done to the dune, please report the incident to the nearest park employee.
Surf fishing areas are subject to closure in the event of severe weather conditions (high tides, coastal storms, etc.). In addition to giving access to designated beach areas, the permit also allows free entry to day areas in all Delaware State Parks during the fee season. This permit does not give you the right to access other state or private beaches not owned by Delaware State Parks.