Fishing and Surf Fishing

Surf Fishing Vehicle Permits

Surf fishing vehicle permits, or "surf tags," are issued for the calendar year. These permits allow four-wheeled vehicle access to designated areas for the purpose ofsurf fishing.

Upon purchase of a permit, the vehicle owner will receive a surf fishing vehicle plate which must be properly displayed on the vehicle for which the permit was issued, a decal indicating the year or years for which the permit is valid, and a copy of the permit receipt which should be kept in the vehicle's glove box.

Because beach driving can cause serious damage to vegetation and wildlife and contributes to shore erosion, Delaware State Parks limits vehicles on the beach todesignated surf fishing areas onlyfor the sole purpose of actively engaging in fishing. To use these areas, you must have a valid surf fishing vehicle permit and be actively engaged in surf fishing at all times while on the beach. To keep our beaches clean and safe for wildlife and park visitors, other recreational beach driving is not allowed.

What type of vehicle qualifies for a permit?

Any four-wheeled vehicle which has been licensed and registered to operate on public highways with a minimum clearance of not less than 7 inches between the lowest point of the vehicle and the ground may be permitted.

Can I transfer my permit to another vehicle?

The permit is only valid for the vehicle to which it has been issued. For an additional fee, a permit may be transferred to another vehicle.

Purchasing a Permit

You may purchase a surf fishing permit online, at any park office (with the exception of Fort Delaware and Wilmington State Parks), at the Parks central office in the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control at 89 Kings Highway in Dover, or at the following retail establishments:

New Castle County

    • Eastern Marine
      (302) 737-6603
      931 S Chapel Street, Newark, DE 19713
      Annual Passes and Surf Permits

    Kent County:

    • Carlisle's Marine, Inc.
      (302) 389-0100
      49 Artisan Drive, Smyrna, DE 19977
      Annual Passes and Surf Permits
    • For Department of Defense and
      Federal Identification Authorized Cardholders only:

      Dover Air Force Base - Outdoor Recreation
      (302) 677-5553
      Annual Passes and Surf Permits

Sussex County:

    • Sam's Fishing & Tackle
      (302) 424-0197
      14260 Teatown Road, Greenwood, DE 19950
      Annual Passes and Surf Permits
    • That Place
      30618 Millsboro Highway
      Millsboro, DE 19966-3316
      (302) 934-9260
      Annual Passes and Surf Permits

For more information about surf fishing on Delaware State Park beaches, you may call (302) 739-9220 orsend us an email.