Please Choose an Activity:
Rock Climbing & Rappelling Regulations
- Climbing is an inherently dangerous activity which includes certain risks, including but not limited to the risk of serious injury or death.
- Rock climbing is allowed only in the area designated and signed for such use. Use the approach to the rock climbing area that is signed as “Rock Climbing Area.”
- All climbers must have a climbing permit in their possession while climbing at Alapocas Run State Park Rock Climbing Area. Youth under age 18 must have adult supervision.
- Wilmington State Parks has installed top rope anchors on the rock wall. Utilize the trail to the left of the rock wall to access the top rope anchors.
- Climbing/rappelling activity is restricted to Division approved, installed anchors.
- The installation, adjustment, or maintenance of any hardware not specifically authorized by the Delaware Division of Parks and Recreation is prohibited. Contact park office (302 577-7020) if hardware problems are discovered.
- Parking for the rock climbing area is located in the Delaware State Parks parking area on the opposite side of the Brandywine River. Park inside the designated lot.
- Remember that all Delaware State Parks maintain a “Carry In, Carry Out” policy.
- Please do your part to keep our climbing resource a clean and safe place to climb.
- Print two copies of the Rock-Climbing Permit and bring them along with photo ID to one of the following locations. Permit must be signed in the presence of an authorized park employee.
Wilmington State Parks Office
1021 W. 18th Street
Wilmington, DE 19802
9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Blue Ball Barn
1914 West Park Drive
Wilmington, DE 19803
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.