- Camping and Cottages
- Sports and Leisure Activities
- Nature/History Programs
- School Group Programs
- Indian River Marina
- Museums, Attractions, Brandywine Zoo
- Weddings, Meetings
- General Information
- Resident Curatorships
- Volunteering, Friends'
- Passes and Fees
View Resident Curatorship Properties:
Resident Curatorship Program
Delaware State Parks
Fort Dupont State Park
The house originally served as Officer Quarters (Double), #51 A and B, for army officers and their families. This two-story, six-bay brick building was constructed in 1910 according to U.S. Army Standard Plan Number 260. The building has a brick foundation with raised basement. Its brick walls are laid in a variation of common bond, and it has a gable roof with asphalt shingles. The box cornice has partial returns. The plan of the building is symmetrical, with a brick bay located at each of the gable ends and two adjoining gable-roof projections on the rear façade. Second floor windows and the façade wall dormers have six-over-two double-hung sash. First floor windows are two-over-two double-hung sash; all windows except wall dormers are set in an arched opening formed by two rows of headers. The façade porch has a hipped roof covered with standing seam metal and wood columns with cast iron bases. An open porch extends the length of the rear elevation, where two bulkheads provide access to the basement.
The interior of this building has been modified, although basic room arrangement appears to be original and the basement is relatively undisturbed. It contains a series of small rooms that were part of the original construction. The house is a contributing force in the Fort DuPont Historical District on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cottage 6 is located on the former farm of John P. Henry and was bought by the United States Government around the1890s. Fort DuPont began in 1864 as “Ten Gun Battery,” an auxiliary artillery battery to nearby Fort Delaware. The military post was declared surplus following World War II. Originally Quarters #51, the cottage was a duplex but is now a connecting single dwelling. The house has six bedrooms, four living rooms, two kitchens, four baths, and a spacious basement.