View Resident Curatorship Properties:
Resident Curatorship Program
Delaware State Parks
Lums Mill House
Lums Mill House is named for its 19th-century owners, a father and grandson who were both named John Lum. The building is a two-story brick house built in three phases, beginning in the early to mid-18th century. The earliest part of the house, built about 1730 by Samuel Clement, is a three-bay, two-story house laid in English bond on the sides and rear and in Flemish bond with glazed headers on the front. Both front and rear facades feature pent roofs. Samuel Clement built the first dam and mill on this part of St. Georges Creek. A one-story, three-bay extension was added to the east end later in the 18th century, and this was raised to two stories after 1809. The interior reflects mid- to late-19th-century renovations.
The house was transferred to the State of Delaware as part of a five-acre area designated as a historic monument by the US Army Corps of Engineers in 1966, following the widening of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. Responsibility for the historic monument and the two buildings included within it was transferred to the Delaware Division of Parks and Recreation in 1977.