Resident Curatorship Program
Delaware State Parks
Buck Tavern - Lums Pond State Park
Buck Tavern has been restored as a residence by Richard, Hedy, and Hattie Stewart. It is a reconstructed brick Federal-style house, originally built in 1821 to replace a frame building that was also known as Buck Tavern. At that time, the tavern fronted on Old Summit Road, which from early times had formed part of the Upper Kings Road, one of several travel routes from the southern colonies north through Annapolis to New Castle, Wilmington and Philadelphia.
It was deconstructed and moved from the town of Summit, Delaware to its current location at Lums Pond State Park in 1966 as part of a project to widen the Chesapeake & Delaware canal. Ownership was transferred to the Division of Parks and Recreation in 1977. The Stewarts restored the outside to its original beauty, remodeled the interior while maintaining as much of the original fabric as possible, and developed some beautiful and well-maintained gardens at the site.
Buck Tavern Photos