View Resident Curatorship Properties:
Resident Curatorship Program
Delaware State Parks
The Warrington House
Trap Pond State Park
The land on which the Warrington House is situated was once part of a larger tract of land owned by the Cannon family in the mid-eighteenth century. Joseph Cannon (II) received the parcel where the Warrington House is located. When he died in 1825, his property was split between his two children, Jeremiah and Precilla; Jeremiah received the portion of the property where the Warrington House is located. During his ownership of the property, he added a bark mill and tanner’s yard, which complemented the existing sawmill that was on the property. The large amount of bark created by the sawmill was ground at the bark mill and then soaked to remove tannic acids used to soften leather. Upon his death in 1831, Jeremiah divided the property into several parcels; his daughter, Hetty Ann, received the portion where the Warrington House is now located.
Hetty Ann Cannon married Elijah H. Warrington in 1842, and it was probably around this time that the main structure of the house was built. The portion of the building that is now a kitchen is definitely older, and may well have been moved to the site and occupied before the main house was built. A Warrington family burial plot was also added to the property, and is located several hundred feet west of the house. Elijah split the property among his five living sons; one son, Joseph King Warrington, eventually acquired most, if not all, of his brothers’ shares of the property. Eventually he passed the property on to his son Ford M. Warrington, the owner of the property when the State purchased it in 2000.