Living History Host
Bring history to life! Assist a living history program as a tour guide or costumed character at a WWII gun battery or historic turn-of-the-century lifesaving station.
Cape Henlopen State Park
Delaware Seashore State Park
24 hours per week (or as scheduled), flexible schedule.
Direct supervision by Park Administrator, Superintendent, Assistant or Manager
- Other duties as determined by interest and skill.
- Dress in provided period costume as a background character, helping recreate mood of period
- Costumed interpretation in interpretation stations: as assistant or lead character, for station demonstration and visitor participation.
- Research, develop and create character for interpretation station
- Assist with supervision of other volunteer interpreters.
- Assist Nature Center Manager with operation Nature Center
- Assist Nature Center Manager with presentation of general environmental, cultural or historical programs.
- Lead nature/trail walk.
- Maintain tracking of program participants. May complete program report
- Greet program participants. Provide direction and answer questions of program participants.
- Conduct initial orientation for visitors.
- Interact with program participants, answering questions, assisting with activities, and ensuring participation opportunity for all attendees.
- Help gather materials and assist in set up for assigned program. Assist in cleanup from assigned program.
- Cleaning/repair of interpretive areas and materials: sweeping, dusting, polishing period and reproduction interpretive rooms, equipment, furniture and gear.
- Report suggestions and observations.
- Assist with Special Events.
- Able to communicate effectively with a diverse public and speak publicly in front of groups or audiences.
- Strong interest in history, some knowledge of historical period and willingness to learn.
- Ability to understand and appreciate the historical context of the program.
- Ability to recreate mood of historical period.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Responsible and trustworthy
- Pleasant and personable, enjoys people
- Independent and responsible
- Presents program as instructed by Park Interpreter, Educator or Nature Center Manager.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Able to assist with both Indoor and Outdoor programs.
- Able to stand for long periods, lift 10 pounds from crouching position, and walk 5 miles
- Attends training.
- Performs duties in compliance with Division and Park Customer Service Guidelines and Safety Guidelines.
- Admission to Park
- Park and Division Recognition Program
- Park and staff events
- Special events
- Training Opportunities
The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the diversity of its workforce.