Nature Center Host
Assists with operation of the Nature Center.
Lums Pond State Park
Killens Pond State Park
Cape Henlopen State Park
Trap Pond State Park
24 hours per week (or as scheduled), flexible schedule
Direct supervision by Park Interpreter or Nature Center Manager
- Reports observations and suggestions.
- Other duties as assigned and agreed upon.
- Welcome public to Nature Center.
- Answer visitor questions about Nature Center, park, exhibits.
- Answer questions about education/interpretive programs.
- May involve sales of resale merchandise, use of cash register, and restocking resale area.
- Answer phones and assist with light office work .
- Register interested visitors for programs.
- Distribute pertinent printed materials to visitors.
- Maintain cleanliness of Nature Center, including cleaning and restocking restrooms and exhibit area.
- Maintain brochure rack supplies.
- Assist Park Interpreter or educator with programs scheduled within the nature center.
- Operate Nature Center while Park Interpreter is conducting programs. May involve opening and/or closing the Nature Center.
- Conduct informal tours of exhibits.
- Assist with group tours and presentations in auditorium.
- Cleaning, feeding, and care of animal cages, aquariums, and exhibits.
- Maintain outside area around Nature Center .
- Assist with special events and projects.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Public relation / Customer service skills- able to work with a diverse population
- Appreciation and understanding of environmental education and natural environment
- Able to communicate effectively with a diverse public
- Patient and friendly
- Independent and responsible
- Assist with both indoor and outdoor programs.
- Able to stand for long periods.
- Able to lift 20 pounds from a crouching position
- Represents Nature Center as instructed by Park Interpreter,
- Educator or Nature Center Manager.
- Perform duties in compliance with Division and Park Customer Service Guidelines and Safety Guidelines.
- Admission to Park
- Park and Division Recognition Program
- Park and staff events
- Special events
- Training Opportunities
The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the diversity of its workforce.